Now you can stop snoring!
Sleep is essential for brain health even in young years, and a sleepless night risks leading to changes in blood, changes that are related to Alzheimer's disease.
The researchers analyzed tissue samples from the participants' gums to see injuries to the muscles and nerves. The result shows that snorers and people with sleep apnea have extensive damage to both nerves and muscles. The injuries were proportional to the degree of swallowing disorder and the number of nocturnal obstructions in the respiratory tract during sleep. The nerves in the gum seal of snare and sleep apnea patients contained fewer nerve fibers and fewer cells that contribute to the nerve fibers surviving and re-forming. The nerves had also increased the element of connective tissue. In muscle analysis a large part of the gum's muscle fibers were back formed as they had lost contact with the nerves that supply them.
For quite a few, snoring is a real problem that can even have medical causes and cause serious problems.
What exactly is snoring?
Snoring occurs in the nose or throat. Mostly the problem is in the throat and means that you can have issues with the airflow through the throat. If the airflow becomes fast, soft parts (such as the soft palate) may begin to vibrate, and you start to snore.
Both men and women snore, and there are today aids that are more effective than just putting a pillow over their ears.
Why am I snoring?
Up to half of all adults in the EU snore, and this is the most common in men. Still, you can see that the proportion of women who snore increases after menopause.
Common causes of snoring
- Stress and/or fatigue
Alcohol and/or smoking
The depth and/or too little sleep
Narrow throat and/or large nasal clams
Relaxing medicines and / or painkillers
Large tonsil and/or polyps (applies to children)
Overbite or small lower jaw
There are two forms of snoring, social and medical – social snoring is not considered to be directly dangerous while medical snoring should be investigated. Some of the reasons for snoring are lifestyle-based. Then it can be about getting help in changing one’s lifestyle in combination with different aids and types of treatment.
What kind of snoring do I have?
Do you suddenly feel tired in the morning and day? May you find it difficult to concentrate? The cause can be so-called sleep apnea, which can be detected in connection with snoring. If you suffer from sleep apnea, you say that snoring is medical, so you should go and check your snoring with a doctor.
Sleep apnea means you get a respiratory break – the body goes into an emergency when you are suddenly hit by oxygen deficiency. The condition can, in the long run, lead to both high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. There is also a type called central apnea when the brain does not feel that you are suffering from oxygen deficiency. It is caused by damage to the nerve pathways or brain. The operation of the tonsils can sometimes help children who suffer from snoring.
Common snoring does not pose a direct danger to you but can be troublesome for you and your surroundings. Both types of snoring affect us in our everyday lives, both personally and relationally. Living with a snare is often at least as difficult as living as a snare. Here it is essential to have a dialogue, to be open to each other, and to understand that sleep is an essential part of our well-being.
If you are tired, you often become less productive and concentrated- and that does no good to anyone. Then it is lucky that there are different ways to treat snoring!
Doctor Bertil Dahlgren, a specialist in medical rehabilitation and occupational health care, has experience working with patients who suffer from snoring.
– Snoring is a phenomenon and no disease, but often it can have a negative impact on health, energy, and energy. My doctoral specialty is medical rehabilitation, and it is essential to restore strength and energy, not least. I always raise questions about fatigue and sleep during my patient visits. This is something that I have applied for many years, but more systematically during the latter part of my medical career.
Bertil Dahlgren believes that there has been an increase in common snoring and for several reasons.
– The phenomenon of snoring has increased, and this is partly due to increased body weight and BMI in the population. Other factors may be increased daily drinking of alcohol in the evening as well as drier indoor air with an increase in allergic conditions. Hopefully, the knowledge that there is help in getting more people to apply.
Bed rails have been used for many years, Bertil Dahlgren says and then initially with tooth pressing but also with snoring.
– The dentists were out early with individually tailored snare rails and, after an investigation at a sleep laboratory, one of the measures may be to recommend a rail. The effect is that you get a projection of the lower jaw. The throat wall then follows slightly, and this leads to better airflow conditions in the throat.
It may be an advantage to combine snare rails with spray, Bertil Dahlgren notes.
The spray has a different mechanism of action since it can improve the function of the mucosa and reduce swelling in the pharynx.
If you do not get the full effect of either spray or snare, you should not forget that you can have a synergistic effect if you combine the methods.
Help with snoring
The problems of snoring have received increasing attention, and today there are a variety of useful aids, besides already mentioned snoring rails and sprays, for those who want to stop snoring.
It is crucial to choose the right tool for the trouble you have; for example, if you suffer most from oral snoring, a nasal spray does not help and vice versa. Finding out what form of snoring you suffer from will help in choosing aids
- The throat spray is used to make the soft parts of the palate that cause snoring tighter and not cause snoring. A spray that does not scratch or feel uncomfortable is good when crawling to a bunk.
- Nasal spray can help with snoring caused by a stuffy nose.
- The bed rail helps increase the space of the airways by moving the lower jaw. It has been found in various studies that a bait rail is an effective tool for stopping snoring.
- Nasal enlargement works by widening the nostrils and thereby facilitating breathing for you who snore. These are also used by athletes to enable nose breathing.
- Sleep warm (CPAP) is a type of worm that is mainly used in connection with sleep apnea.
Take your sleep seriously!
Snoring can, in the long run, become a significant problem for society. Being tired and exhausted is nothing that promotes neither the public health nor the productivity in what we do.
Snoring can also be due to other health conditions, and that is why it is important to take your sleep seriously. Bertil Dahlgren concludes with some thoughts:
– I think you should consider a doctor’s visit. It may be that you have high blood pressure or that there are factors that you cannot access with a rail. For contact with a sleep laboratory or ear-nose-throat doctor, it is often waiting time, and during the waiting time, it is a good idea to try a rail and/or spray. Keep in mind that there are harmful forms of snoring, those with breathing pauses in sleep. Then maybe a rail is not enough, but you have to use other methods as well.
Ten tips for snoring
Snoring can thus be both dangerous and relatively harmless, but still troublesome. So what can you do yourself to avoid snoring?
- Avoid sleeping on your back – on your back, and you risk clogging your respiratory tract.
- If you are overweight, try to lose weight – being overweight is a common cause of snoring.
- Stop Smoking – Do yourself a favor and quit smoking, smoking swells the mucous membranes and helps you snore.
- Drink less alcohol – it causes the muscles of the throat to relax and increase the risk of snoring.
- Record your sleep – are you often suffering from sleep problems? Not being rested can cause snoring.
- Test different tools available to prevent snoring such as snare, throat or nasal spray, mask, etc.
- For a dialogue, if you have a partner – he/she probably suffers a lot from your snoring.
- Talk to a doctor – if you feel your complaints are so severe.
- If you are taking medication that you suspect may cause snoring – talk to your doctor who can advise you.
- Take your sleep seriously – having problems with sleep, snoring, and in the worst case of sleep apnea is not good for your general health. You deserve a good night’s sleep!